Comprehension (25 points, 5 points each) Write the letter of the best answer to each of the following
1. At the beginning of the story, the farmer tells a story about man who
a. was an untrustworthy samurai
b. lost a treasure under the sea
c. put a spell on a turtle
d. lost part of his life
2. Which of the following statements reflects Zenta's claim that he is not proud of the part he played in the adventure
a. "instead of watching over him, I had fallen asleep and awakened in a strange place."
b. "I was a green, inexperienced youngster not quite 18 years old.
c. "I wouldn't presume to contradict my elders."
d. "I had left home under extremely painful circumstances and had spent the next three years wandering."
3. What was Zenta's relationship to Tokubei?
a. Zenta was Tokubei's son.
b. Zenta was Tokubei's friend.
c. Zenta was Tokubei's bodyguard.
d. Zenta was Tokubei's nephew.
4. The story is titled "The Inn of Lost Time' because it is about an inn in which
a. There are no clocks to tell what time it is.
b. The decorations retain their beauty after 90 years have passed.
c. Guests are made to believe they have slept for many years.
d. A spell makes all who enter there remain young and wealthy.
5. Why does Matsuzo refuse tea from the farmer's wife?
a. He is feeling dizzy and thinks he may sleep too long.
b. He is feeling uneasy after hearing the story.
c. He really doesn't want any more.
d. He believes that the tea is poisonous.
Reading Skills and Strategies: Drawing Inferences (20 points, 10 points apiece)
6. Zenta is not afraid because
a. He realizes the farmers are honest people.
b. He is a samurai.
c. He knows he can outsmart the farmers.
d. He is traveling with a friend.
7. Which of the following details best enables the reader to predict that the story will have a mysterious element?
a. It is set in an exotic place.
b. The title indicates an element of msytery.
c. It is a framework story.
d. The three boys fall asleep instantly.
Literary Element: Framework Story (10 points, 5 points each) Write the letter of the best answer to
each of the following items.
8. A framework story is a story
a. in which a picture is mentioned
b. that begins and ends in similar ways
c. that contains a frame story and an inner story
d. in which one character repeatedly tricks another.
9. In the selection, both the farmer and Zenta tell stories. Their stories
a. are completely different
b. share similar themes
c. are boring to their listeners
d. confuse the children
Vocabulary (20 points: 2 points each) Match the definition on the left with the Word to Own on the right.
Write down the number followed by the letter that goes with it.
10. emotionally painful a.
11. people who live at
others expense b.
12. passed c.
13. extremely hungry
14. send as payment e.
15. with regret and
16. touching g.
17. lonely; miserable h.
18. exhausting i.
19. worn out from old age j. remit
Grammar Link: Active and Passive Voice (10 points; 2 points each) The following sentences are written
in the passive voice. Rewrite each sentence in the active voice by changing the subject and replacing passive verbs with active
20. The inn was found by two travelers.
21. The surrounding area was explored by the younger man.
22. Food was served by a mysterious woman.
23. A way to regain the lost time was suggested by the host.
24. Money was counted by the older man.
Essay Question (15 points)
25. How does "The Inn of Lost Time' illustrate the idea that things are not always as they seem? Address this question,
using at least two examples from the story.